Friday, October 13, 2006

Things You Can Learn at a Stoplight...

I was sitting at a stoplight this afternoon and while I was waiting for the light to change I noticed a twitching, wet snout sticking out the window in the vehicle in front of me. It appeared to belong to some kind of retriever type dog. Life was good for him at that moment; the smell of the air, the fall breeze dancing over the top of his fur - he was on top of the world. This made me wonder how nice life would be as a dog, the simple thrill of a car ride making my day!

Curious now, I wanted to see who this dog belonged to and so my eyes drifted to the men in the front seat. From behind they looked kind of scruffy and hefty, the kind of men that would probably intimidate me if we passed on the street. They didn't look particularly well kept and yet this dog was their loyal fan, which led me to this conclusion... Dogs don't care what we look like, smell like, or how we even behave; they simply love us because that is their nature. I can personally say I have never met a judgmental dog - other than one protecting his property or people.

Lesson learned at the stoplight: simplify my approach to life and think and treat others more like a dog would. How long has it been since I've stopped long enough to enjoy the smell of fall in the air or to "wag my tail" when the people I love are near?!

1 comment:

Toevs said...

Amazing what lessons we can learn from the strangest of teachers!:)