Friday, August 31, 2007

Burnt or Burning...A Follow Up

Begin cheesey theme song! Oh yesssss!

So I left you on a sour running note...And after Eric, who doubles as my coach,:) read my blog he pointed to his head and smiled that charming smile. I have to admit I was a little Grrrr at that at first because that code means: "It's all in your head.".

Fast forward. I woke up Wednesday and couldn't drag myself out of bed in time to take an early a.m. run by myself and since I need the training that left me with the option of running later in the morning with my 60 lb. love trophy in tow. Still feeling a little bitter about Monday's run I chose that option knowing full well that this run would either make me mad or I would fight through it!

I decided to fight and it turned out to be one of my best runs of the season! When I finished I felt strong - not hot, sweaty and pissy:)! And then I connected the dots. It was all in my head - it is all in my head. So, to be a strong runner - maybe even person; I have to not only show up physically but I have to get my head and my attitude in the game.

I ran again today with that stroller full of love and I'm thinking these runs are the best thing I did for myself this week. If asked that on Monday - not so much.

Lesson of the week: Running is as much a mental sport as it is a physical one. Perhaps the sport of life is comparatively the same. Show up physically and mentally and fight!

3 comments:

Eric Tuin said...

you're the woman! I love you more all the time.

Toevs said...

Way to go! :-)

Toevs said...

Just wanted to tell you I attempted running yesterday, in honor of you. :-)

We went the IWU track and I walked 4 times around and ran a 5th... I almost ran a whole lap. For me, that was quite a feat. :-)

We discovered that Anna might like running, so we want to take her out often... which means we will try it too. Emma is not so much into it, but she says it is good to "get some exercise"... yes, that came out of a mouth of a 6 year old.

Anyway, I thought of you last night.