Friday, October 17, 2008

Controversy!


And I love it...The controversy that is. I changed one simple letter in my name and it has sparked a reaction. Marion/Marian is a gender neutral name like Taylor or Shawn/Sean, etc. My parents chose to spell my name the way my Grandmother spelled hers (whom I am named after). Technically speaking Marion spelled with the "on" is the male spelling and the "an" is the female version. I am girly and like pretty much all things girl, like pink, high heels, dressing up...So why not use the "pink" version of my name? I'm not changing it afterall:).

I've debated changing the spelling off an on throughout my life but have never done anything about it. I looked into changing it legally this year and decided against it purely for monetary and laziness reasons (i.e. filling out the paperwork, filing it, or paying someone twice or three times as much to do it for me). But since the phase hasn't passed I decided to adopt the alias a week or so ago. Just for fun...Just to see how it went and if anyone would notice. I changed the spelling of my name on my Myspace and Facebook pages as well as on my email signatures.

To my surprise the people that have noticed and been brave enough to speak up haven't liked the new spelling urging me to stick with tradition. I am amused and enjoy the feedback. It's only a simple letter, a vowel change to be specific, and it has sparked such a strong response.

So tell me...if you dare, what do you think? Marion or Marian?

P.S. (Thanks to all of you who responded to my previous blog by email or comment. I recieved some great ideas and input. I hope to incorporate most, if not all of it should I get the position. I have narrowed my topic and will turn in the writing assignment which is the next step of the application process by Monday. Updates to follow soon.)

Enjoy your weekend and wish me luck in mine. Nine miles to conquer with my running on Sunday!

XO

4 comments:

Alana Alexis said...

Accepting the way you are will bring fulfillment.

Anonymous said...

So I noticed, but thought that I had been the one spelling it wrong for the last 15 years!!! I am glad to hear that I have not :) I was so confused... I have to say "on" works for me since that is how I know you, but "an" works just as well if that is what you like. After all I am the one who has a brother that completely changed his name :)

Janice

DESIREE said...

Hey Lady!

I thought that I was in the wrong and been spelling your name wrong! Whew, I am glad that I have had it explained to me now... I think that I can sleep at night now.

As for the name, well I know you as Marion, but if Marian makes you feel more "girly", then by all means- whatever makes you happy. Your happiness is what matters girl!

Just let me know which it will be so that I can update my contact info for you!!

Good luck with your race, I will be cheering for you from the inside the walls of the ER this weekend!!

The Miller Clan said...

Hi Marion...I guess since I have always seen it as Marion, I think I prefer that spelling, but whatever makes you happy! Hope you are doing well...
Love ya! Jana