Monday, January 01, 2007

Bittersweet New Years Day

Let me begin by wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Eric and I rang in the new year uneventfully last night:). We went to a party until the kids were absolutely exhausted and then came home and spent the last two hours of 2006 together quietly on the couch. I had to wake Eric up for my New Year's kiss at midnight but it was still very sweet.

This morning I was thinking about how nice a new year is. That it is fresh with no mistakes, regrets, etc. It is full of opportunity and promise. A new year can be whatever we make of it. I sat down at the computer to work on some birthday wish list requests as I was thinking of this and was stunned to discover the news that Darrent Williams, a Denver Bronco Cornerback was killed this morning in a drive by shooting (above title has link to team press release). I'm a HUGE fan of the Broncos and was actually googling team jersey's to ask for for my birthday when I stumbled upon the news.

Though I didn't know the guy I feel like I did. I'm sure many fans in Denver feel the same. It is wierd to know that not even 12 hours ago I was watching him play. Realizing the impact one life can have on millions - an athlete who showed up and played well for two seasons - has impacted my life. I'm saddened that his life, his goals, his career were abruptly cancelled. I'm saddened that there is a presence of evil in this world that causes others pain and suffering and I'm motivated to make my life count in this new year. I want to show up in the lives of the people closest to me and live well. If I can benefit and work hard for the people around me just as Darrent Williams did for the Denver Bronco's and for our city and state (cause most of us LOVE Bronco football!!) I will have kept my new year's resolution - maybe a lifetime resolution.

My condolances to the entire Denver Bronco organization at this time and to Darrent Williams family. I know words cannot heal, but my prayers for God's healing and comfort are sent with these words.

2 comments:

Toevs said...

Sorry that your New Years Day was so bittersweet... are people in Denver pretty upset? Are you feeling any better?

Marion said...

Hey there:). Yes, feeling much better - and yes people in Denver are taking it pretty hard. He was a good athlete and a young athlete - only 24 I think. Any way, because of the athlete status there has been an urgency to solve the case and of course some headway has been made:).

Thanks for checking in:)! Happy New Year!