Monday, August 18, 2008

And Life Goes On...

I attended a wedding this weekend which lead me to add another life lesson to my growing list this year. This particular bride and groom planned their wedding and reception outside, which in August, in Colorado is a relatively safe bet. Of course, this is Colorado and true to form their wedding day happened to fall on the ONLY weekend all summer that brought us a massive rain storm (which I might add lasted all weekend). On the morning of the wedding day they had to find a new venue and relocate the ceremony indoors, in addition to calling all of the RSVP'd guests with the update. They couldn't however, find a location for the reception so it remained outdoors. I felt really bad for the bride, having been one myself once. I just thought of how disappointed I would be having to make adjustments to a day that I literally dreamt about for years. But the bride actually showed great poise in the midst of it.

And in all my observation and pondering I unearthed a life lesson. Life is so unpredictable, even when we carefully lay solid plans in advance. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. But in the end we take what life throws at us and we make it work. And that is what I like to call reality. Life Lesson #9 of 2008 for me.

And speaking of reality...It seems like just yesterday I was adjusting to the rigors of being a parent. I remember thinking one morning after many sleepless nights that I wasn't going to make it. I was going to be a flunky of the first order as a mom. At that particular moment 5 years and school were an eternity away from me until today... Five years later and I'm walking away from my daughters first full day at Kindergarten. I'm not sure how it's possible that I made it from that moment to this one but day by day we took life, made adjustments and along the way she grew up...I'd like to think I'm passing through parenthood now not flunking:).

And life goes on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and soon benny will be off in kindergarten... it went by faster than i thought it for both my girls! I remember those nights of endless screams... i didn't think the day would EVER come when my baby would be in school. and yet, the day came quickly!

Anonymous said...

that was a comment from me, ronda. for some reason blogger isn't letting me sign in. go figure!

The Miller Clan said...

Yeah...many times I've felt as though I have flunked as a parent...I hate it when I feel that way. It is one of the toughest jobs I have ever had. I can't believe our girls are going to kindergarten! Autumn starts next week! :(