Friday, August 01, 2008

Taking One For the Team??

I'm putting together a relay team to run in the Denver Marathon in October. I'm excited about training with a small group of people and DEFINITELY needed the fitness goal to keep me motivated this summer, especially in our 100° + heat lately...BUT here's the problem. There are four legs in this relay they range in distance from 4 to 9 miles. When I looked into signing a team up I assumed I'd find a runner who wanted to do the 9 mile leg and the rest of us would just fight over the shorter distances. After all there are tons of people out there training for and running in marathons, so what's 9 miles to them? Yeah, um, not so much. Looks like Team Captain, Marion gets to run the 9 mile leg:)! At first I was resistant to the challenge because I know my distances and my personal performance goals. I do run my best races at the 5k (3.1 mile) and 5 mile distances. But this 9 mile challenge is kinda growing on me. I'm not going to set any PR's running this distance but I will be completing something I never have done before which will be rewarding. I'm sure the training won't be easy and I'm sure I'm going to get whiny about it from time to time, but overall I am excited to tackle this challenge. And having a fitness goal that will keep me motivated right up to the beginning of the Holiday season is a plus... Then I can rest...At least for a few months:).





XO

1 comment:

The Miller Clan said...

Good for you. I sure wish I had the inspiration to exercise like you do...I just can't get the motivation! Good luck to you on the 9 mile journey...love you!
J